silentscream Search

Saturday, August 09, 2003

Words are not enough

It's Singapore's National Day today. Yupz ... 38 years ago we decided to strike it on our own and fend for ourselves. After the British, Japanese and Malaysians, our colonial masters, we decided well ... enough's enough. What harm could come if we self govern ?

Democracy.

I am watching the NDP at the moment, and I'm thinking, "Things don't change. Much." At least parade wise.

At home everything is so different. I remember how my sisters and I used to tune in every year and go, "Ooh.... Ahhh....". Mother would be watching too. Giving out "useless" facts of what each contingent stand for. Commenting on the differences between the Army, Airforce and Navy. We'd all knew it but she'd go on anyway.

This year, my elder sis is with her family, my younger sis places more importance on her social life and Mother is unwell. So here I am pouring out my woes. Mother has not been well for about 2 weeks now. She's got diabetes type 2 and since her big toe was infected, she's been feverish and nauseated. She hasn't cooked for 3 days because just standing up would make her giddy. I had to cancel or make stupid excuses to any social outings I've made with my friends because if I were to go, there'd be no one around to make sure nothing bad happens. Except for my cats of course.

One can always make new friends but not new mothers.

I 'd asked Mother to go to the doctor. But how could she when just being vertical caused her to see black spots ? She just had her temperature taken. 39.1 degrees Celsius. I felt like calling the ambulance and sending her to the hospital. However, seeing the infected toe, most likely than not, some minor surgery would be required.

Okay. Enough of self misery. Hey people, I'm really sorry for cancelling on our plans. I'd love to go but unless my mother's situation improves, I'd stay away from any at the very last minute. So very sorry.

No comments: