silentscream Search

Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Very Fine Scare !

My iMac just gave me a little scare earlier.

I had not been "playing" with it in quite a while and so since the aircon maintenance fellas are coming round for the quarterly year checks.

Dear had moved the iMac from the main bedroom to the other room with its clean and spacious table. So there I was utilising my Mac in full when I noticed a wee bit of fuzzy spot over some of the news articles. Weird. Earlier, the screen was also flashing white light and there was intermittent lapses in the movement of the mouse. Initially I thought it was the webpage refreshing, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

Anyways, it seemed to me that the blurry, fuzzy spot had grown in size and the Mac was like super hot !

I told my Dear and he touched the area on the screen with the fuzzy spot. We had thought it was just a smudge on screen but wiping away didn't help. Then Dear said it could be condensation behind the screen. He viewed it from the side and there was gap in between. Oh no !

My new iMac !

So Dear told me to shut it down and call the Service Centre. And then we went on a search of my Apple Care Protection box with the receipt. He kept saying it was a good thing that we had listened to my Boss who advised us to get the plan when I bought the iMac. Where was it ? I remember I had registered it here but I could have done it in the office. Oh, where is the darn box !!!

I called the Service Centre after searching my email on the TouchPad. Finally, a number to be called for help for my poor iMac ! Meanwhile, Dear said it'd be better to get some photos of the fuzzy spot. Once the machine had shut down, there was a misshapen shape of white on the black screen.

Waited 15 minutes to speak to a service operator, panicking if my iMac is doomed for life ! While waiting on the line I searched for similar incidences online via the TouchPad. Thank you for the mobile devices and wireless network (courtesy of the Dear !) !

Eventually spoke to someone with an American accent and he assured me the heating up of the machine is quite normal. Seriously ?!?

Well. I am glad to say, as per advised by the service guy, it is a one off thing. I got my case number and was told to call again if the condensation happens again. I've been advised to switch on the machine and use it as per normal. So far, so good.

But. What a very fine scare to be had !

:-)

No comments: